Friday, February 27, 2009

AND THE WINNER IS.............

So .... this is just a 'fluff' piece .... but I think a lot of us have this kind of angst ....

I have been 'looking' for a lamp for our bedroom for the last 6 months .... now the pink & green vintage piece we had in there was a beautiful accent during the spring & summer months when I changed out all the decor to pale pink and green .... but honestly!! what self-respecting decorator uses a pink/green lamp in a fall/winter bedroom whose main colors are cream/deep red/black? AND the lamp had to be just the right size/shape/color/price - the last point being pretty important!
Finally decided to take the plunge & told Ken that for my birthday, the only think I wanted was a new lamp...... and the hunt .... and my angst began......

Went to my favorite deco store "HOME GOODS" (sorry if you don't have one in your area)....
found 6 ( YES SIX) contenders, took pics on my phone and sent them to my girls for approval.
Finally made a decision & brought home LAMP # 1 ..... it was a beauty!

Now mind you, when I finally buy something that I've thought long & hard about, when I walk into that room & look at that piece --- I want to FEEL something!
Wasn't happening.
AGGGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHG!!!!!!
I hate that I have so much angst about a LAMP for pete's sake! (not to be confused with the Japanese drink .... Sake!) While it was a beautiful lamp, it just 'disappeared' against the cream walls..... and I wanted DRAMA!
I just figured I'd live with it for a while .... and see what happens.
NADA ... ZIP .... ZILCH.... ZERO ... would someone please bring in the gong?!

SO BACK TO HOME GOODS ...... knowing I now actually wanted the OTHER lamp with the gray patterned shade --- but would it still be there? Thank the Lord, it was. We traded and my new precious went home with me. (see below)


I find it maddening that I have no problem picking out 'stuff' for other people's homes, but when it comes to mine ---- I really wrestle with certain things.... probably 'cause I like so many different styles ..... actually, I LIKE IT ALL!!
Anyways ... I'm DONE decorating .......... for now. PHEW --- I'm tired.

2 comments:

Rachel K. Lincoln said...

love the lamp, love the mirror, love the room!!
so much trouble, but it turned out fantastic!

Jenna Tunes said...

I love getting those picture messages on my phone! It brings joy to my day.
I think you made the perfect choice, Mrs. Decor.(and love your Sake pun)
By the way, who's the hottie in the houndstooth coat on your blog? I thought I was looking at my long lost second sister.