Given the fact that they've had snow (and lots of it) since Thanksgiving, it wasn't surprising that everywhere you looked where different versions of snow shovels. It did get down to +7 several mornings, but other than a few flurries --- it was warm enough for most of the accumulated snow to have disappeared while I was there.
Kathie tried to welcome spring ---- she always has a special flower arrangement and a selection of little treats and fun stuff waiting for me in the bedroom.
See that little white scalloped holder? That's a neck scarf rolled up inside ---
How cute is that presentation? Thank goodness for the neck scarf -- I'm tellin' you!
When I introduce Kathie to friends in CA, I always tell them she's married to the 2nd most wonderful man in the world ---- Dan. They treated me like a queen --force fed me and let me sleep in as late as I wanted. I think the only sweet treat Kathie didn't make while I was there were "Philadelphia style Sticky Buns"!
Lucky for me, the first weekend I got there, my niece - Caitlin flew up from DC to spend the weekend with us --- she's a very important person @ the Hirschorn museum (part of the Smithsonian) (I'm name-dropping right now!)
Jesse is a Jr @ the college right there in town and lives in a townhome close by -- so we got to visit with him a good bit, as well as his girlfriend, Haleigh, an art student at the college.
Someone's missing in that family pic --- Jamie -- 16, a Jr in HS, an excellent drummer (I'm told), and obviously, not home too much --- always band, musical practice, work and hangin' out with friends to do. I did get to see him ..... tho I just can't prove it!
My brother (1 of 4!) Pete - also came up for the weekend from Philadelphia. It was so great to see him again --- he had been out last August with us in CA. We packed a lot in those 3 days!
Since in NY it's Maple Syrup Time --- we definitely had to hit the
MAPLE TREE INN for locally tapped/produced maple syrup & BUCKWHEAT pancakes.
The Maple Tree Inn is famous for the syrup and buckwheat pancakes --- people travel from far and wide to experience their product --- and this Sunday was no exception --- they even had to wait in the RAIN!
In the 2 hours we were there, that line didn't go down one bit --- that's not to say that it didn't move -- it moved alright --actually, pretty fast, but more people just kept SHOWING UP! That's because the Inn is only open for 3 (yep, that's right, THREE) months out of the year -- only when the sap is flowin'!
Believe me - this place is a cultural experience!!! I loved it. Check out the 'artwork' they have for you to peruse whilst waiting in line! (this sign cracked me up --- in case you can't see, it's attached to a telephone pole!)
Maple Tree Inn has quite the history -- the syrup production and restaurant started small by the grandparents & their business grew along with their family and people's appetites!
3 generations are still involved in the business --- that's somethin'
Of course, they have the requisite 'gift shop' .......
IHOP --- eat your heart out!!!!
but these were the BOMB!

I love this pic of Pete at a little coffee shop (Muddy Waters) close to the church we went to both Sundays.
There are so many photo ops back east --- even tho it's drab and wintery --- these little finches congregate right outside Kathie's kitchen window --- such a bright spot after so much snow.
And everywhere you look is another dilapidated barn ---- I kept thinking of several photographer friends of mine in Cali who would LOVE to be able to roam around taking pictures here..... I tried my best.
Don't know if you can really see this well, but I just had to post this pic of Kathie's 'wash line'..... we ALWAYS had one growing up & she still uses one (a LOT) and yes, even in winter! It's a flashback to my past.
We had many wonderful times together -- over delicious meals (did I mention my sister is a fantastic cook?) worshipping together -- playing board games -- getting stuff ready for a yard sale (from the attic to the cellar) ....getting culture by attending the opening of a college art exhibit and piano recital .... lunch and shopping at special places and other meals with good friends ...... sorting thru family pictures from their years together ---- praying for our futures, and just loving on each other.
It felt so normal to be there .... and all too soon, it was time to leave.

THANK YOU KATHIE & DAN FOR A SPECIAL, SPECIAL TIME
THANK YOU KATHIE & DAN FOR A SPECIAL, SPECIAL TIME
I HOLD YOU ALL IN MY HEART.
2 comments:
What beautiful times! We love our east coast family.
Enjoyed the pics, mom. So great. It is rewarding to me, knowing that you were able to get to spend time with all of them....And, I got to talk to dad almost every day while you were there!
Sounds like you had a great time back in NY! I also hope you had a great time at the "Kenny Wayne's World" event the last three nights... Daniel and I would have loved to be there. We are definitely praying for you guys. My parents attended last night so I look forward to hearing all about it. Hope you both are doing well!
Post a Comment